Friday, September 21, 2007

Welcome Towson

Last night at new faculty dinner each department chair introduced their new faculty. During my introduction my chair was kind enough to mention this blog. Perhaps you were at this dinner and this your first visit to the blog. Thank you for coming. Towson already has a couple of well known blogs. First our University President Robert Caret has one (linked here) and a recent Towson graduate turned his blog into a job at the New York Times.

The goal of my blog is to discuss what I find interesting about economics or life and bring those stories to you each weekday. On my drive into Towson today, I started thinking about how the recent history of the school mirrors a trend in education. Around the time I was born Towson had an enrollment of about 10,000 students in the past 25 years or so it has doubled in size and plans to increase to 25,000. Towson has taken on a lot of the growth in the number of students attending college in Maryland, which has experienced a similar increase. Why are those students going to school in larger numbers, one reason is that average income for college graduates is now 85% higher than high school graduates, back in the early 1980s it was around 55%.

No comments: